Friday, February 03, 2006

Mahomet cartoons…

I don’t really want to take position in this debate.
I’m not Muslim, but my father is. And my mother has been raised in Christianity before she drifted. Now she is deeply into Buddhism.
I believe in God, definitely, and I’m very interested in religions. I respect religions because I’m sure you need to believe in something, whatever if it’s Jah, God, Allah, Sciences or anything else.
Human beings need to believe, and every one should respect this.

At the same time, I grew up in a country where freedom of the press is the basis for democracy. I give thanks for this each and every day and I would fight anyone who could threaten this freedom.

As far, you may think I should condemn Muslims who deemed blasphemous a cartoon about the prophet published in Denmark. I guess I should. Kind of cartoons that sets the world on fire

But, better than giving you my advice, (who cares about it?!), I’d like to remind you some event that occurs in France, in March 2005.
At this time, a county court, in Paris, sentenced the fashion designers Marithé and François Girbaud because of an advertising campaign.



As you see, this is an artistic reinterpretation of a famous work of art by Leonardo da Vinci.
French bishops definitely didn’t like and they lodged a complaint against the top designers.

For this, in France, in 2005, they have been sentenced. It was said this ad was nothing but abuse and slender….
And not only the bishops but also the judge said so!

That’s precisely why, today, when French people say Muslims don’t respect freedom of the press, I’d just like them to keep in mind that French bishops did quite the same, not even one year before, railing against a simple artistic picture they considered blasphemous.

Of course, they didn’t show their indignation the same way. That’s true. And I can’t support people who are violent in their acts and their speeches. But I’d like the justice and the press, at least in France, to be the same for everyone : if this cartoon is seen as an insult by many Muslims, why should we consider them as reactionary when the French court eventually decided in bishops’ favour in the Marithé and François Girbaud’s case?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home